No big deal, but change is a comin'. Soon callers in Utah will need to dial, write, or speak the entire ten digits of their phone number. I said it was no big deal, but really… first we have a major change in our TV signal and now this!
We've become a society of numbers and at the moment, my phone number is the longest number associated with my name. Phone companies, please don’t take me back to the days when there were no area codes, just a long word and 5 numbers that needed to be repeated every time someone asked for my number -- ACademy5-0159 (eventually changed to AC5-0159 and then 225-0159). Yup, I was immediately identified as an Orem resident!
Brilliant brainy people could instantly pinpoint the word/number prefix to an exact location in a town/state. I never could do that. Right now all I can remember is FRanklin3/FRanklin4 for Provo, AMherst7 for my aunt’s house in Nevada, and INgersol6 for Grandma Hanson’s home – Ingersol 6-7833. Why do I even remember that? The same reason I remember the old Glenn Miller song PEnnsylviana6-5000, or the movie BUTTERfield8?
Anyone out there remember any other word/number prefixes? Hold it right there. In order to answer that question, you’ve either got to have a memory for trivia or be over 50!
HELLO WORLD!
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment