
I don't know why I'm blogging about crickets. I think it's because summer and crickets go together...and it's still summer...sort of. Maybe not.
Years ago, when Merrell and I were vacationing in Lake Powell, Pete Hansen taught us how to tell the outside temperature by counting cricket chirps. I had totally forgotten this little piece of pertinent, important information...until recently. On the evening weather report, the TV meteorologist explained the formula, and assured everyone that it really works (it’s usually more accurate than a weatherman’s prediction)!
This is the formula: Count the number of cricket chirps you hear in 13 seconds, and then add 40. Example: If you count 26 chirps, and add 40, the temperature is 66 degrees. That’s simple first grade math! It does get a little more complicated if it’s hot outside – could even become second grade math.
It would be nice if crickets served as captains of the sinking ship of summer. Then they’d be the last to leave. I honestly love sleeping with the windows open, feeling a cool canyon breeze float in, and being wrapped in the soothing summer sound of one continuous chirp.

1 comment:
Your blog is interesting and informative!!
Jason
Post a Comment