ornaments collected over the past 44 years.
I call my decorating done.
Martha Stewart I'm not (or a Millissa J. for that matter)!
The weather is cold and there is snow on the ground.
It’s beginning to LOOK a little like Christmas.
Christmas is around the corner and I should be doing a hundred other things at this moment, but here I am sitting at my computer with Christmas memories/traditions floating through my mind and resting in my fingers! I’m sure every LDS family has Christmas traditions – simple or elaborate – but attending the yearly ward Christmas party may not even be on anyone’s list! Oddly enough, it is on my mind today. It's been something I’ve attended more or less for…let’s say…66 years, so without a doubt it’s a tradition for me.
I have childhood memories of Santa appearing with his artificial cotton-curled beard and pillowed stomach, ready to give me, and all of the noisy pushing children, a striped candy cane or homemade cookie. Chaos reigned and I loved it. I even loved it when our own children were younger and excitedly contributed to the chaos. (I haven’t seen Santa at a ward Christmas party for many years… Oh, Santa, where are you?)
Ahhhh, ward parties evoke a ton of emotions: Stressful – being in charge of the whole deal. Scary – Playing a piano duet. Tender – participating in the nativity as an 8 1/2 month pregnant angel. Memorable – dressing our family as shepherds and angels. Not so much fun – setting up and cleaning up!!!
At our ward party last week, I scrambled to carry my food contribution into the cultural hall, find a seat, settle in and enjoy the evening. It’s not the food that keeps my attendance high (generally it’s ham, funeral potatoes, jello or green salad, rolls, chocolate cake). So, what is it? These parties win no prizes!
I think the draw is finding and sharing this cherished holiday time with the young (as they run up and down, over and under) and old (chatting during the entertainment), OR listening to beautiful music written about our Savior – sung or played by seasoned ward professionals, or budding amateurs, OR is it ending the evening with the entire ward kneeling together in prayer? Noise gives way to a quiet stillness…the Christmas spirit is in the room. It’s beginning to FEEL a lot like Christmas.

No comments:
Post a Comment