Saturday, January 23, 2010

#7 Prepare Your Husband's (Family's) Favorite Food

I’m not a very good wife…..because I hardly ever prepare Danish red cabbage, which is one of Merrell’s favorite side dishes. Sigh. So for improvement #7, I prepared it!! (Yes, I’m still working on those darn improvements.) I don’t make it like his Danish acquaintances, but he likes it anyway. Our kids never did. I don’t know why…..or do I? Anyway, I made it for him and here’s my adapted recipe:

Danish Red Cabbage
Combine and simmer in a covered saucepan until tender:
4 cups shredded/chopped red cabbage
1 cup applesauce
2 TBLS Real bacon bits
¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar (I use a sugar substitute)
¼ cup water
1 tsp salt


Now if the above recipe doesn’t appeal to you, try this one. It’s really really YUMMY.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Combine and mix:
2 cubes butter (softened in microwave for 12 seconds each)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 lids vanilla (or 1 tsp)
2 large eggs


Mix ingredients below and then add to above mixture. Stir well.
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 cups flour


Add:
3 cups Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
2 cups chocolate chips


Scoop dough onto 2 large greased cookie sheets – 12 cookies per tray. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. (Try baking both cookie trays simultaneously and add two more minutes for the bottom tray.)

3 comments:

Vocabdiva said...

Holy nasty ingredients, mom! None of those recipe bits sound like they should even inhabit the same kitchen, let alone the same dish.

You are one WONDERFUL WIFE and highly improved woman, I'd say. I dig reading your posts about your quest for improvement.

It sorta inspires me to do the same, except that (deep breath of guilt-free liberation) I've released myself from blogging...does this mean I can eschew self-improvement, too?

P.S. Will red cabbage be on the menu for Sunday dinner? I DO need to lose a few pounds.

Mary said...

Here's the deal. It you load up on the low-fat, low-calorie red cabbage, you'll have lots of room for the fatty, high calorie, yummy cookies! Got it?

Carrie said...

I love reading your blog Mary! You make me laugh, you make me cry, sometimes simultaneously. Love you!