Friday, October 9, 2009

The End of an Era

By invitation, we walked through the halls of the “old” Orem High, to take a last look at classrooms, lockers, floors, drinking fountains, and even restrooms. Yes, Merrell and I have fond memories of this old place, from different ends of the stick. I entered as a sophomore in 1958. He entered as a teacher in 1964. I re-entered in 1965 as a faculty wife!
Roar for Orem High
Merrell's old classroom (1964-1969)

In 1958, the road in front of the school, 4th East, was paved from 4th South to Center Street, but was NOT paved from 4th South to 8th South. I walked to school in dust and dirt. The school was surrounded by a few new homes, a couple of old homes, and lots of orchards. Let’s face it, when Orem High opened its doors in 1956, it was considered the best, most well-equipped school in the state, BUT it was really in the STICKS!

The old Orem High School building will be demolished June 15, 2010. The new Orem High building is currently rising out of the parking lot. Good-bye, old school. Bye Bye now, Bye Bye.

No comments: