Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fresh Tomatoes Forever?

I know that gardening season is over, but I have to brag. I planted tomatoes this year. I was determined to harvest a crop. It’s not as easy as it looks. I was introduced to Verticillium Wilt, Late Blight, Early Blight, Bacterial Speck, Buckeye Rot, and Blossom End Rot. Spots, rots, wilts, blights, and fungus – yuck. Attack of the killer tomato fungus. Are you kidding me? Another trip to Home Depot to purchase another spray?

The tomatoes turned out to be yummy and plentiful, but the plants…
The plants looked sooo bad.
I pulled them out early.
They were ruining the “look” of my garden.
This plant had every disease imaginable,
but produced yummy tomatoes.
This plant looked fantastic, but didn't get enough sun,
so only produced green tomatoes.

Before pulling out the plants, I salvaged all of the green tomatoes clinging to the vines. I was told if I wrapped them each in newspaper, and placed them in the garage, they would ripen. Some have, so it works! Fresh tomatoes for Christmas dinner? You bet!

Tomato plants next year? We'll see.

1 comment:

Vocabdiva said...

Yummy! I'll eat one of your mystery newspaper-wrapped tomatoes anyday! I don't have the mad skills for gardening, but I'm glad to mooch off someone who does!