Saturday, November 21, 2009

#5

5. A Complaint Free Day. You may have read, or heard, that Rep. Cleaver from Missouri has introduced legislation to declare the day before Thanksgiving “Complaint Free Wednesday.” This announcement has stirred discussions on blogs, radio shows, and newspaper columns. I was thinking that since he’s a democrat, he’s probably aiming this legislation toward “NO Obama complaints.”

Yes, it would be nice to live in a perfect world with no complaints, but then I guess everyone would have to be perfect, and nobody’s perfect – just striving to be. Hey, even Einstein said, “This soup is entirely too hot!”

Here’s a quote from Rep. Cleaver’s letter: “From time to time, we all experience anxiety, frustration, stress, and regret. And often, we respond to these feelings with a criticism or a complaint. Regrettably, complaining keeps people stuck on current problems, inhibiting them from thinking constructively to find solutions. Research has also shown that complaining can be harmful to one’s emotional and physical health, relationships, and can limit professional career success.”

I agree, and I think it’s a good idea to try to eliminate grumbling, complaining, criticism – all that negative stuff. But, does it take legislation to do it? Personally, I’d be better off if I’d always think before I speak – you know, “look at the positive, school thy feelings, count your blessings” type attitude.

So, I decided to sponsor my own “Complaint Free Day.”
I made one mistake.
I told Merrell my plan.

All day long, he’d comment on my comments by commenting: “I think that’s a complaint. What are you trying to say? Ah, criticizing again. Why are you complaining about that? Oh, too negative.” Arrrugh! He thinks he’s so funny.

I’m going to try a "Complaint Free Day" again...
at a later date...
a secret later date!

No comments: