I can’t believe we’re actually paid to visit D. C.! Not only did we get to see more of the D.C. area, but we also saw some terrific student teachers. What a great experience our students are having and how blessed their students are to have them! Here are some photos and a little bit about the schools we visited – leaving off the school names, of course.
High School: I passed through the security system, set my purse down on the floor so it wouldn’t be in Merrell’s photo, and stood by the classroom door. The security officer walked over briskly, “Miss, don’t put your purse on the floor. It will be gone in a second.”
Elementary (K-6): I really believe that kids are kids no matter where they live! However, in this school the kids speak 27 first languages (keeps the ESL teachers hopping), are housed in a traditional brick almost 100-year-old building, have exceptional parent involvement (in fact, parents pay for all specialty classes – Chinese, computer, art, music, P.E.), and come from extremely different socio-economic backgrounds.
Performing Arts High School: The students start school at 8:30 a.m. After “core” classes, they attend specialty classes (art, music, drama, da

2 comments:
Looks like an excellent trip! As a prospective teacher I'm interested in your descriptions of these schools. I also had to chuckle at your blog name. As "Michael and Melanie," my husband and I often call ourselves "M & M" as well. :)
Melba (Melba's Musings)
I can relate to "this is my home, I just sleep somewhere else" comment. That's how I feel about my job as principal. Days just melt into each other. Melba, hope you make it to the best profession in the entire world! I love education!
Carolyn
Post a Comment